The Library is the heart of any educational institution. In our college, the library is situated as central icon in the rear part of the set of main buildings. A huge collection of books is available for reading and is considered as the store house of knowledge.
- Collection of books for reference and competitive examinations - dictionaries, encyclopedias
- Text Book and Subject References
- Journals - National and International
- Newspapers - Dinamani, The Hindu, Indian Express
Library plays an important role in the enhancement of education and research attitude of the user community. Students can go to library during their library hours. The library helps a good deal in spreading knowledge and facilitating education. The library plays a vital role in the academic curriculum of the student community.
- Librarian: Mrs. Senkodi, BLIS, MLIS, PhD
- Library Assistant: Mr. Balakrishnan
Rules and Regulations
- Open to: All members of the college both Staff and Students
- Open on: Every working day from 9.00 am to 5 pm
- Advisory: Students should visit the library frequently and do intelligent reading references work without neglecting general good reading.
- Strict silence shall be observed in the library.
- No member shall take any printed book or notebook into the library.
- Books must not be marked or defaced. The pages should not be earmarked. Students should examine each book before borrowing it and report to the librarian any damage found there in. If they fail to do so, they will be held responsible for any damage detected after their use of the book.
- Periodicals placed on the magazine racks should not be mishandled. They should be replacing on the racks after use.
- Reference books and periodicals will not be issued but are available for reference within the library.
- Staff and students should not the books. If one book of a set is damaged, the whole set shall be replaced.
- Overdue charges shall be imposed on each day a book is overdue. Absence from the College shall not be admitted as an excuse for delay in returning a book
- Date labels shall not be tampered with
- The librarian may recall any book at any time even before the expiry of the normal period of loan
- No Staff or student is allowed to lend books to any one in or outside the College.
- Books will not be lent to either students or staff during the vacation.
- Books when in use must be handled carefully.
- Books can be borrowed against token only.
- Department libraries: The above rules of the main library apply also to the department libraries will have to replace the books if they are lost.
Conduct of Library user
- The mobile phones are to be switched off or to be kept on silent mode in the library reading hall.
- The library/college is not responsible for any loss of any personal property brought into the library.
- Circulation of books and periodicals
- Open Access System
- Display of new arrivals
- Bar coding service
- Display of current information or notification
- User orientation or information literacy
- On-line service - INFLIBNET
- Model question bank collection
- Offer Book Exhibition
- Permanent member of N-List: National Library and Information Service for Scholarly Content jointly executed by UGC-INFONET-2.0 Digital Library Consortium
The library is not simply a place or building, nor is it only a collection of resources. Rather, the library, as a program of services (including on-site and remote collections), processes a mission of supported learning by providing Information Services to meet the needs of students and faculty.
- Purchased 18,968 books and added to it's collection.
- New 5412 latest edition reference books
- Subscribed printed journals and magazines for periodical section.
- N-List package provides the widest range of online resources free of cost unlimited read and downloads.
- Free open access journals and E-books added.
- Shodganga - eTD - 2,00,000 theses and dissertations,
- DOAJ - Directory of open Access Journals.
- NDL - National Digital Library - about 1 million e-books - this package is covered all subjects and available adequate useful resource for our research scholars.
- Students: 1500
- Teaching Staff: 52
- Non-Teaching Staff: 22
- Average Daily Users: 120
- Loan / Borrow books for home use
- Registration of new members
- Lending of books
- Remainders for overdue books
- Reservation of books
- Renewal of books, records and files
- OPAC - Online Public Access Catalogue search facility
To stress the importance and use of the library, every year, the first week of February is observed as Library Week when student activities and competitions are conducted, like:
- Quiz programme
- Essay writing Prizes are distributed to the winners.
Library Week Occasions List
|Academic Year||Chief Guest Name||Designation||Topic|
|2013-2014||Ganesan P, PhD||Assistant Librarian,
Alagappa University, Karaikudi
|Reading Books - Need of the Hour|
|2014-2015||Baskaran C, PhD||Librarian,
Alagappa University Karaikudi
|In the word of Books…|
|2015-2016||Thanuskodi S, PhD||Professor & Head, Department of Library and Information Science,
Alagappa University, Karaikudi
|Innovative Electronic Information Science|
|2016-2017||Chinnasamy K, PhD||Associate Professor & Head, Department of Library and Information Science,
|Current Trends in Library Information Science|
|2017-2018||Durairajan M, PhD||Librarian,
St. Joseph College, Tiruchirapalli
|Library as a Learning Resource Center|
|2018-2019||Muthumari P, PhD||Librarian, Alagappa University Constituent College of Arts and Science,
|Role of Libraries in Academic Institutions|